One of the first expensive lenses I bought was a 12-24mm Sigma EX, this is a really useful lens.
Advantages of a very wide angle lens:
- A tiny stage/venue looks huge.
- You can be onstage with a band and still get a lot in the shot.
- In small venues, you can still get in front of the audience and get decent shots with your camera up the singer’s nose.
- It’s ideal for rock photography, the perspective makes the viewer feel close to the action.
- It’s easier to show the audience with the band.
- Depth of field is much deeper.
- You can handhold with much slower shutter speeds and still get sharp photos.
- It’s great for promotional shots as you can get everyone in the frame more easily.
- You can get arty effects from the way it plays with perspective.
- You often want to show as much of the crowd as you can to communicate atmosphere… the wider the lens the more audience you’ll show!